3/11/2011

Waffles will change your life (and breakfast)

As a child, I used to looooove waffles. Every summer I'd spend my vacation in a family resort, on the coast. And there were those little stands, where one could get the most amazing waffles (in Poland, we eat them as a dessert, not breakfast), they were hot and crispy, topped with strawberries and whipped cream or chocolate syrup. Then I grew up a little, I went to the United States, and to my disbelief I discovered that Americans eat them for breakfast! And with what?? Bacon, butter and maple syrup. This combination landed on my boyfriend's waffles every time he ate them. The toppings did not convince me, but waffles for breakfast- hey, why not?  
Of course, being in New York, I didn't bother making them from scratch, I would just reach for the MIX (the best are the cheapest for example, Aunt Jemima), add milk and eggs, "and there you go". Each time they came out perfect: crispy on the outside and soft inside. I replaced bacon with salted butter and honey. I'm ashamed to admit, but I could eat 6 waffles for single breakfast!  
After returning to Warsaw, I missed the taste. And since it's impossible to buy waffle mix I had to come up with my own recipe. And that's how we got those. (I still don't own a waffle-iron, so the only time I make them is when I'm at my sister's, in Poznań.)

Aunt Aleksandra Heavenly Waffles 
2 cups regular flour
1.5 cup milk
2 eggs
3 oz melted butter (unsalted)
2 tablespoons icing sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt

Mix dry ingredient throughly. If you are a kitchen-orthodox you may even sieve the flour. I am lazybones, who skip that step. Whisk the eggs with milk, add cooled butter and dry ingredients. Whisk it together for about 2 minutes. You can use hand mixer. The dough should be quite thick, like cream. [If necessary, add flour or milk.]
Heat up the waffle iron, then reduce the heat and gently smear with butter. Baking takes about 4 minutes but it depends on the type of waffle maker. Can be longer if you prefer them darker.
Most important: they must be set aside to cool on the grid, otherwise it will make them soft and spongy. Eat the waffles with toppings of your choice. I recommend a bold option of salted butter and honey.
Let me know how it came out and what you put on'em!

No comments:

Post a Comment